Image Courtesy: ActionAid
Prof. Janaki Srinivasan was invited to be a panelist as part of “Towards a Policy for Gig Workers”, a webinar by ActionAid.
The Panel Discussion aimed to bring voices from across academia, media, policy making, civil society organisations, activists, trade unions and workers’ organisations to introspect few questions like
- What are the vulnerabilities that gig workers face and are likely to face as per the present work conditions?
- What improvements are needed?How have they been exacerbated by the pandemic?
- How do we create a linkage between the present informal workers’ rights forums and the mechanisms for rights of gig workers?
- Do we have the required ecosystem to support decent working conditions for the estimated 23.5 million gig workers in 2030 from today’s 7.7 million?
- What kind of policy frameworks are required to address these and other issues related to decent work for gig workers?