One-Day Symposium on Internet Policy and Governance 22nd July 2016.
Keep watching this space for video updates from the various sessions.
Symposium Co-Chairs: and
- Start-up firms who use Internet enabled platforms;
- IT companies, Telcos and Internet Service Providers that provide and use Internet based services;
- Communities and civil societies and organizations who actively participate at the intersection of Internet and society;
- Government officials who frame technology policies; and
- Educational Institutions that teach and do research in the area of Internet policy and governance.
Speaker: Dr. Srinivasan Ramani, Global Connector inductee in the Internet Hall of Fame 2014, and former Director of C-DAC (NCST), ERNET and HP Labs
Speaker: Mr. Samiran Gupta, Head-India, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
Speaker: Mr. Pavan Duggal, Advocate-Supreme Court, President-Cyberlaws.net, Guest Faculty-National Judicial Academy, Bhopal
Speaker: Dr. V.S. Seshadri, Vice Chairman, Research and Information System for Developing Countries, Former Ambassador to Myanmar
Though businesses started using the Internet two decades ago, it has become a vital infrastructure for conducting business ranging from E-Commerce to peer-to-peer money lending. As Internet commerce intersects the traditional businesses, the regulation and policies are at cross roads – whether to embrace the technology and accept the regulatory arbitrage that Internet technology provides; or deploy the extant regulation which might stifle its growth. While the former encourages “shadow economy”, later provides a level playing field. This session explored such intersections of interests in varied industry segments such as E-Commerce, Digital Payments, and IT Services.
- K. Vaitheeswaran, Co-founder, Fabmall and Indiaplaza, Start-up mentor and Angel investor.
- H.G. Kumar, Additional Commissioner for Transport & Secretary, Karnataka State Transport Authority. .
- Ishwar Sridharan, Co-founder, Exotel Techcom Private Limited
This session was focused on the recently adopted Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by the UN and its bearing on the framing of Internet Policy in India/South Asia/Asia-Pacific. The discussions took critical positions on the dominant discourse around the inevitability of the Internet, in its present form, in solving local development concerns and discuss policy perspectives (including those related to local production capabilities) that may have to be considered if the Internet has to contribute to achievement of SDGs in regions, such as the ones listed above, which continue to be peripheral in terms of contributing to its production.
- Dr. Usha Reddy, Consultant, United Nations Asia Pacific Centre for ICT and Development. .
- Mr. Vipin Tyagi, Executive Director, C-DOT
- Dr. Samir Kagalkar, Head – Constituency Management Office of the Union Minister for Parliamentary Affairs, Chemical and Fertilizers
- Mr. Vivek Pani, Co-Founder, Reverie Technologies
Businesses, organizations and even individuals associate themselves with the Internet Domain Names today. Domain names exhibit properties of the Internet real estate and has associated economics and legality behind them. Conflicts between those who register domain name and proprietors of traditional trademarks are often encountered in practice. This session had experts who discussed economic value of domain names, the global and local jurisdiction on domain name disputes, the property rights protection, crimes committed due to domain names, and native language domains.